PHOTOSPEAKS

Outrage over ‘fake’ interpreter at Nelson Mandela memorial

Watch this video
To those outside the deaf community, the sign language interpreter for Nelson Mandela’s memorial may have looked like he was working very hard, translating the spoken words into gestures for four hours.
But he was a complete fake, and his actions outraged deaf people around the world, according to an association for the deaf community in South Africa.
From CNN
The service to commemorate the revered statesman, who died last week at the age of 95, was broadcast to millions of viewers around the world.
While dignitaries addressed the crowd Tuesday at Johannesburg’s FNB stadium, the suited man with a security pass produced a series of hand signals that experts say meant nothing.

The Deaf Federation of South Africa (DeafSA) said the “interpreter” — whom it did not identify — was not a recognized professional, nor was he known by the deaf community in the country.
“The so-called ‘interpreter’ who interpreted at the official memorial service for late former president Nelson Mandela at FNB stadium has been dubbed the ‘fake interpreter’ and the deaf community is in outrage,” DeafSA said in a statement.
The man did not use facial expressions, which in South African sign language are an important part of communication, and the hand signals he used were meaningless, it said.
“The signs (self-invented signs) the interpreter used are not used in South African Sign Language and it is a total mockery of the language,” DeafSA said.
He also did not use the established, recognized signs for the names of Mandela, South African President Jacob Zuma and his predecessor, Thabo Mbeki, among others, DeafSA added.

“This proves that he is not involved in the deaf community and doesn’t know South African Sign Language,” it said.

“To the best of our knowledge, he has not undergone any formal training in South African Sign Language or Interpreting offered by any recognized institution which offers these training courses.”

South African government spokeswoman Phumla Williams said she could not immediately comment on the allegations.

“I am still trying to get the feedback from the people who hired him. I am not in a position to respond,” she told CNN.

“Once I have that information I will respond.”

World leaders from President Barack Obama to Cuba’s Raul Castro joined celebrities, religious figures and tens of thousands of ordinary South Africans to pay tribute to Mandela at the Tuesday service.

"I'm The First Of My Kind, No Nigerian Artist Can Match My Talent" – Whitemoney
Celebrities1 hour ago

“I’m The First Of My Kind, No Nigerian Artist Can Match My Talent” – Whitemoney

Nicki Minaj Arrested By Police In Amsterdam For "Carrying Drug" [Video]

Nicki Minaj Arrested By Police In Amsterdam For “Carrying Drugs” [Video]

FA Cup Final: Man City 1-2 Man United, Updates, Score, Analysis, Highlights [Video] 3

How My Nude Scene With Eucharia Anunobi Affected My Marriage – Zack Orji [Video]

Harrysong Vows To Expose Evil Deeds Done By His Ex-Wife, KCee, Destiny Etiko And Her Mother

DNA Test Reveals Kayode Olanrewaju Not Father Of His 3 Children With Wife

DNA Test Reveals Kayode Olanrewaju Not Father Of His 3 Children With Wife

TapSwap: How To Make Money Online By Simply Tapping Your Phone Screen
Tech and Gadgets2 days ago

TapSwap: How To Make Money Online By Simply Tapping Your Phone Screen

Why TapSwap Banned Nigerians | Everything You Need To Know About Make Money With TapSwap
Tech and Gadgets2 days ago

Why TapSwap Banned Nigerians | Everything You Need To Know About Making Money With TapSwap

“I Apologies If I Disappointed You” - BLord Says As He Announces Plan To Marry Second Wife

“I Apologise If I Disappointed You” – BLord Says As He Announces Plan To Marry Second Wife

Paul Okoye Reportedly Marries Ivy Ifeoma Traditionally Amid Pregnancy Rumours [Video]

Governor Abba Yusuf Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir Of Kano, Aminu Bayero

Governor Abba Yusuf Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir Of Kano, Aminu Bayero

NELFund Opens Portal For Students Loan Application - How To Apply
Education3 days ago

NELFund Opens Portal For Students Loan Application – How To Apply

15-Year-Old Italian Teenager, Carlo Acutis Set To Become The First 'Millennial Saint'
World News3 days ago

15-Year-Old Italian Teenager, Carlo Acutis Set To Become The First ‘Millennial Saint’

"My Father Fela Had 27 Wives And Over 100 Girlfriends" – Seun Kuti Reveals [Video]

“My Father Fela Had 27 Wives And Over 100 Girlfriends” – Seun Kuti Reveals [Video]

Zubby Michael Acknowledges That Angela Okorie Is In love With Him

Zubby Michael Acknowledges That Angela Okorie Is In love With Him

Another Woman Accuses Diddy Of Forcing Her To Have Sεx With Kim Porter While He Mαsturbated

Sanusi Lamido Receives Reinstatement Letter, Turbaned As Emir Of Kano [Photos/Video]

Diving into Diverse Crypto Trading Opportunities 4
Business3 days ago

Diving into Diverse Crypto Trading Opportunities

FG Halt Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road Project Realignment After Landmark Beach Demolition

Connecting Continents: Google Introduces Umoja, Africa’s First Direct Fiber Link to Australia 5
Business3 days ago