“Thank You For Not Taking Advantage Of Power Vacuum” – Osinbajo Tells Saraki

"Thank You For Not Taking Advantage Of Power Vacuum" - Osinbajo Tells Saraki 3

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday jokingly told Senate President Bukola Saraki that he was happy he did not do anything funny by removing President Muhammadu Buhari during the vacuum in power before the presidential inauguration.

Between 12 mid-night heralding May 29 to about 10:30 am of the day, when Buhari and Osinbajo were sworn in for a second term, there was no President or Vice President and the Senate President is presumed as the acting President within that period.

Osinbajo, who spoke at a dinner organized in honour of President Buhari and himself at the State House Banquet Hall, after they were sworn-in for a second term in office by the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Mohammed, narrated how he and Saraki cracked jokes over the vacuum scenario.

At the event where he also represented Buhari, Osinbajo said:

“Something interesting happened earlier today (Wednesday); I am a lawyer and a law teacher and I like to test and interrogate legal scenarios.

“At one minute past midnight today, the four-year term of the President and I ended by effluxion of time.

“So, from one minute past 12 of last night, May 29 to about 10:30 am when we were sworn in for a second term there was no President or Vice President.

“Interestingly, nothing went wrong, all was okay; when such a situation arises, it is the Senate President who acts as President.

“So, when I arrived at Eagle Square this morning, some may have noticed that the Senate President and I were enjoying a joke.

“He said to me jokingly `you better be careful you know I am the acting President now’. So, we thank the Senate President for not doing anything funny.”

The Vice President who expressed joy over the orderly and civilized process of transition, which democratic system of government provides, also thanked God and Nigerians for trusting the administration yet again.

He assured that the trust would not be betrayed.

He added, “And so on behalf of the President, please accept our deepest gratitude for your support and presence here this evening.

“The best years of Nigeria begin today, and by the Grace of God all of us will live to enjoy the coming years and many more.”

News1 day ago