Categories: News

$2.4B FRAUD: Magu Urges UK To Quicken Diezani’s Prosecution Or Hand Her Over To Nigeria

Acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has decried the slow pace at which the UK authorities are prosecuting the former minister of petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke.

Diezani, who is in the UK, is being prosecuted by the UK government on issues of corruption.

Magu has however expressed disappointment that the matter has been dragged on for more than four years with no visible result and no end in sight.

Speaking on Wednesday while receiving a team of International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, Magu said the case has festered for the past four years with no positive result.

He said no kobo had been recovered from the $2.4 billion allegedly frittered away be the ex-minister.

“There is the case of Diezani which has been going on for over four years and the amount involved is about $2.4 billion and no kobo has been recovered from overseas,” he said.

“Though we have not been able to arrest some of these fleeing people, it is good that they know they are on red notice, as there are Nigerians like Diezani whom we have applied for.”

Magu disclosed that getting Diezani, Dan Etete, also a former petroleum minister, and those who are abroad but facing fraud charges in Nigeria back to the country has been a problem.

He urged the countries hosting the former officials to either prosecute them or hand them over to Nigeria “since they are Nigerians.”

The EFCC chairman assured Interpol of the commission’s continued support on information sharing.

“We are willing to cooperate with Interpol at all times, if there is anything other enforcement agencies cannot provide especially in financial crime, the Interpol is sure to get result here in EFCC because we specialize in financial crime, money laundering and terrorist financing,” he said.

“We are thankful for Interpol residency in the EFCC 24/7. We are delighted that the collaboration with Interpol is yielding results, especially in the area of intelligence.”

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

DSS Invites Ekiti Monarch For Demanding Chair Governor Oyebanji Sat On At Church Service

The Department of State Services (DSS) has invited the Oluyin of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Adeniyi Adeola…

3 minutes ago

Jay-Jay Okocha Picks Lionel Messi Over Cristiano Ronaldo As Better Player

Nigerian football legend Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha has named Argentina star Lionel Messi as his…

1 hour ago

Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Battles Stage-Four Cancer As Daughters Seek Medical Help

The daughters of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, have appealed for…

3 hours ago

Man Breaks Into Woman’s House, Steals 27 Pants For Ritual Purposes In Adamawa

A 27-year-old man, Muktar Shehu, has been arraigned for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home…

20 hours ago

Nigerian Businesswoman Bebe Jewelry Reportedly Dies During Business Trip To China

Nigerian businesswoman Blessing Orji, popularly known online as Bebe Jewelry or Bebe Orji, has reportedly…

21 hours ago

Jemima Osunde Confronts Driver Over Alleged One-Way Driving In Lagos [Video]

Nollywood actress Jemima Osunde has confronted a motorist she accused of driving against traffic in…

21 hours ago