We Lifted 5 Million Nigerians Out Of Extreme Poverty In My First Term – President Buhari

We Lifted 5 Million Nigerians Out Of Extreme Poverty In My First Term - President Buhari 3

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the Federal Government’s introduced National Social Investment Programme (N-SIP) has in three years, lifted no fewer than five million Nigerians out of extreme poverty.

Buhari said this at the opening of the Global Youth Employment Forum of the International Labour Organisation in Abuja on Thursday.

He said N-SIP has produced positive outcome in the enrollment of children in schools.

Represented by Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), Buhari said the government understands the need to focus on youth empowerment to create employment. He said:

“We note at this point that the issue of youth unemployment has assumed a global significant, and on the front burner of development discourse,” he said.

“The government of Nigeria understands the need to focus attention on youth empowerment by creating the enabling environment for job opportunities and capacity building.

“The present administration from the onset, made the investment in our people, one of the key goals of the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan, which is the national development blueprint from the period of 2017 to 2020.

“The implementation of the plan also has the flagship programme such as the National Social Investment Programme (NSIP).

“It has yielded some measurable outcomes in the form of increased school enrolment and the creation of more jobs.

“One of the key components of the NSIP is the N-Power programme and its sub-components has led to the creation of job opportunities in different sectors of the economy for young persons.

“For example, in the past three years, the programme has yielded over 2 million direct and indirect employment opportunities and has lifted over 5 million Nigerians out of extreme poverty.”

Nigeria has been ranked by the World Poverty Clock as the nation with the poorest people in the world. Poverty remains at 33.1% in the country.

Business13 mins ago