in

“Enough Is Enough!” – Nigerian Govt Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks On Its Citizens In S’Africa

The recent xenophobic attacks began last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria.

Nigerian Government has reacted to the recent Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa, saying it will take further steps to ensure the safety and protection of its citizens in the xenophobic country.

KanyiDaily had earlier reported how properties of foreigners, especially Nigerians were being looted following an outbreak of fresh xenophobic attacks in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg in South Africa.

President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, had said that the recent attacks began last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria.

Properties including cars which belong to Nigerians in the country, were set on fire by South Africans. Shops belonging to Nigerians were also looted by South Africans as captured in a viral video.

In reaction, the Nigerian Government described the incidents as unacceptable adding: ‘Enough is enough. Nigeria will take definitive measures to ensure the safety and protection of her citizens.’

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama said the Federal Government would take “definitive measures” over the xenophobic attacks.

He was, however, silent on the measures that would be taken over the increasing violence against Nigerians and other foreigners in the country.

Onyeama, who described the attackers as mindless criminals, noting that the police intervention was ineffective. He said:

“Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”

Also condemning the incident, the Chairman, Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said there might be a need for African Union’s intervention to stop the attacks on foreigners in South Africa.

Dabiri-Erewa said while she could not verify most of the videos of the attacks, the decisions that needed to be taken could only be taken at the ministerial level. She said:

“Sad, Reports from South Africa attacking foreigners. I can’t verify most of the videos. However, whatever decisions to be taken now can only be at the Ministerial level. AU intervention may be crucial. This is not what we should be doing to ourselves as Africans.”

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

The envoy was expected to meet with the minister by 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday.

A senior MFA official, Kimiebi Ebenfa, confirmed the development in a WhatsApp message.

The message read, “I am directed to inform you that the Minister of Foreign Affairs has summoned the High Commissioner of South Africa for a meeting this morning by 11. The meeting was confirmed a few minutes ago.”

READ ALSO
Man Stripped Naked And Banished From Imo Community Over Murder [Photo]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Davido Set To Marry His Longtime Girlfriend Chioma, Holds Introduction Ceremony [Photo]

Xenophobia: Buhari Refused To Act Because Most Nigerians Killed In South Africa Are Igbos – Reno Omokri