Xenophobia: 3 Confirmed Dead As Properties Of Nigerians, Foreigners Looted In South Africa 3

Three people have been confirmed dead and properties of foreigners looted following an outbreak of fresh xenophobic attacks in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg in South Africa.

Reports say another victim is still receiving treatment for smoke inhalation after an angry mob attacked non-indegenes, looting and burning property belonging to foreigners.

In a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Monday, the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo said the attacks started on Sunday when a house was set ablaze in Jeppestown by an angry mob.

“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals. But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrests,’’ he said

“Late in the evening of Sunday, September 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops/businesses.’’

Olubajo also revealed that info made available to him by members of NUSA in Malvern area revealed that as much as 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt during overnight attacks.

“Also, some businesses owned by foreign nationals were looted in Germiston on Sunday evening. A Nigerian-owned Internet Café and computer accessories business was among the looted shops in Germiston.

“When I got the sad news late yesterday (Sunday) evening, I immediately informed the Police in Jeppestown but lots of damage had been done already.

“The means of livelihood of people were looted and destroyed by fire overnight which has left many Nigerians traumatised.

“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.

“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning,’’ he said.

Business14 mins ago