Niger State Government on Wednesday turned back trailer filled with over 50 people who were returning from Lagos State amid the coronavirus movement restrictions.
The truck was said to be stopped by security personnel in the Gidan Kwano area when they saw people on top of the trailer and their explanations were not reasonable.
The security personnel alerted the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Ibrahim Matane, who is also the chairman of Niger State Task Force on COVID-19.
When Matane arrived at the scene, the driver explained that they were coming from Lagos and going to Kano, promising not to stop in the state.
"use strict"; var adace_load_6a0bfd84b9514 = function(){ var viewport = $(window).width(); var tabletStart = 601; var landscapeStart = 801; var tabletEnd = 961; var content = '%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22adace_adsense_6a0bfd84b9348%22%3E%3Cscript%20async%20src%3D%22%2F%2Fpagead2.googlesyndication.com%2Fpagead%2Fjs%2Fadsbygoogle.js%22%3E%3C%2Fscript%3E%0A%09%09%3Cins%20class%3D%22adsbygoogle%22%0A%09%09style%3D%22display%3Ablock%3B%22%0A%09%09data-ad-client%3D%22ca-pub-2233808518455682%22%0A%09%09data-ad-slot%3D%221717524128%22%0A%09%09data-ad-format%3D%22auto%22%0A%09%09%3E%3C%2Fins%3E%0A%09%09%3Cscript%3E%28adsbygoogle%20%3D%20window.adsbygoogle%20%7C%7C%20%5B%5D%29.push%28%7B%7D%29%3B%3C%2Fscript%3E%3C%2Fdiv%3E'; var unpack = true; if(viewport=tabletStart && viewport=landscapeStart && viewport=tabletStart && viewport=tabletEnd){ if ($wrapper.hasClass('.adace-hide-on-desktop')){ $wrapper.remove(); } } if(unpack) { $self.replaceWith(decodeURIComponent(content)); } } if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a0bfd84b9514(); } else { //fire when visible. var refreshIntervalId = setInterval(function(){ if($wrapper.css('visibility') === 'visible' ) { adace_load_6a0bfd84b9514(); clearInterval(refreshIntervalId); } }, 999); }
})(jQuery);
But Matane ordered the security personnel to escort the trailer back to where it came from. He added:
“There is no waiver for any truck that is not carrying food items, fuel or other essential products to enter the state.”
An eyewitness told The Nation that the truck had been covered with tampoli, adding that while some of the boys were on top of the truck, others were under the covering.
The SSG had emphasised the state was determined not to allow anyone to cross the border while expressing his doubly over the health of the passengers in the truck.
Niger state is currently on a 24-hour restriction order to help prevent the spread of the corovirus which has infected over 400 person in Nigeria.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the names of 47 senatorial aspirants who failed…
The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna state governor Nasir…
The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to social media personality, Justice Chidebere,…
Sierra Leone has agreed to receive deported migrants from the United States as the administration…
Nigerian socialite Cubana Chief Priest has lost the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for…
MultiChoice Nigeria has announced that auditions for the 11th season of Big Brother Naija (BBNaija)…