Categories: News

Police Arrest 65 Young People Who Threw A Birthday Party Amid COVID-19 Lockdown In Lagos

Lagos State Police Command has arrested 65 young men and women for violating the lockdown order to curb the spread of coronavirus by holding a birthday party at 84 Park Hotel, Augusto Close, Oko Oba in the state.

It was gathered that the Lagos State Task Force on COVID-19 had on Wednesday stormed the birthday bash following a tip-off.

The General Manager of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), Dolapo Fasawe, stated that the violators had been handed over to the police for profiling, while the venue of the party had been sealed off. She said:

“It is no longer business as usual in the state; this pandemic has united us all and encourages citizen participation in terms of information sharing. We responded around 3.10pm after receiving the information and surprisingly, we met the youth, who were shabbily dressed for a birthday party.

“It should not be difficult for us to obey simple instructions and adhere strictly to safety regulations to flatten the curve so that normalcy can return to the world.

“The facility has been sealed off, while the youth were taken away by the police for further investigation and profiling, and this is to appeal to parents and guardians to seriously warn their children and wards to stay away from unlawful gatherings. All hands are on deck to ensure that there is no hiding place for flagrant violators.”

Confirming the development, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, said the suspects were arrested while consuming some substances suspected to be hard/illicit drugs as they partied within the hotel premises. He said:

“On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, around 2.05pm, acting on credible intelligence, operatives from the Area ‘G’ Command and the Oko-Oba Division arrested 65 suspects at 84 Park Hotel, Augusto Close, Oko-Oba. The suspects were arrested for attending a birthday party and consuming some substances suspected to be illicit drugs.

“Some of the suspects were found in the swimming pool catching fun, in total neglect of the social distancing regulations and the lockdown order. The suspects, who are within the age range of 16 to 45, confessed to have left their various homes for the hotel in defiance of the sit at home order.

“The manager of the hotel was equally arrested and the hotel has been sealed off by the relevant agencies of the state government. Investigation is ongoing and the suspects will be charged.”

Elkana added that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hakeem Odumosu, called on residents to continue to be law-abiding and advised parents to monitor the activities of their children, especially during the lockdown period.

Speaking on the matter, the Director General, Lagos Safety Commission, Lanre Mojola, said:

“It’s disheartening that the youth, who are the future of this great nation, are insensitive to their health. They should think about those people who are to be affected directly or indirectly by their action or inaction.”

Mojola warned events facility owners not to open for members of the public during the pandemic period, adding that the state government would not hesitate to apply the provisions of the law on such owners who defy government orders.

ALSO READ: Police Arrest Bishop For Defying COVID-19 Lockdown To Protest At Chinese Embassy In Lagos [Video]

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

Femi Otedola Announces Plans To Invest $100m In Dangote Refinery

Femi Otedola, chairman of First HoldCo, said he plans to invest $100 million in the…

5 hours ago

My Heart Is Heavy Over Painful Killings And Abductions In Oyo – Toyin Abraham

Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham has decried the growing cases of killings and kidnappings in Oyo…

6 hours ago

Portugal Name Cristiano Ronaldo For Friendly Match With Nigeria Ahead Of World Cup

Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez has unveiled his squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup,…

6 hours ago

Desmond Elliot Withdraws From Surulere APC Primary, Alleges Intimidation [Video]

Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Surulere…

7 hours ago

NDLEA Uncovers N480bn Meth Laboratory In Ogun Forest, Arrests Three Mexicans

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered a methamphetamine laboratory in Ogun State.…

8 hours ago

Tinubu Doesn’t Trust Me Because I Once Worked For Peter Obi – Cubana Chief Priest

Socialite Cubana Chief Priest said President Bola Tinubu does not fully trust him, which he…

12 hours ago