A former Nigerian presidential aspirant, Senator Adamu Garba, has withdrawn his case against Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey, for supporting the #EndSARS protest against the extrajudicial activities of the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
KanyiDaily recalls that Garba had filed a $1billion lawsuit against Dorsey before a Federal High Court in Abuja over his alleged sponsorship of the recent #EndSARS protests in parts of the country.
The motion on notice was brought pursuant to order II Rules 1, 2, 3 of the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009 and Sections 34(1), 35(1) and 41(1) and 43 of the 1999 Constitution.
But in video on Monday, January 11, 2021, Garba said he has ordered his lawyers to withdraw the suit becauuse the purpose of taking the Twitter founder to court had been achieved.
“My case with Jack was an effort to try to prevent Nigeria from getting this foreign interference; all this kind of international actors coming in the name of human rights to cause havoc…
“Most of them, they profit from our own instability and disunity. So, what I did was to quickly hang a court case on his neck. Most of these publicly listed companies, especially the CEOs of those companies, the only thing they are afraid of is legal cases. Once you hang a legal case on their head, they know that the chances of getting in trouble with their position is threatened.
“That is why if you notice, as soon as that happened, he stopped tweeting about soliciting for the nation to continue to sustain the protests. To the best of my knowledge, that is a very big win to stopping him from playing the script they played in Egypt, Syria, Libya. So, to the best of my knowledge, I think we have won in this case; we stopped him from interfering in our local politics therefore it is time for us to call off the case from the court, so I have written to my lawyers to actually look at the possibility of withdrawing the notice of the case so that we can now continue to monitor him.
“If any of them again tries to do that, we will continue with that case but for now, I think it is time to say it is over,” Garba said.
Garba also apologised to the youth in the southern part of the country, saying his position at that time that the North should now support the #EndSARS protests “had nothing to with tribal, sectional or religious considerations.
“It was (a) purely military strategy but so many of you are angry because of the way perhaps I was misrepresented or misinterpreted. I want to personally apologise sincerely for the pain I have caused you and I look forward to continuing to unite so that we can build a better country,” he said.
Sharing the video on his Twitter page, the ex-presidential aspirant said:
“I think the action has served its purpose. I’ve written to our lawyers to withdraw the case from court. I also tendered my sincere apologies to Nigerians who are pained by my #EndSARS actions. Nigeria shall rise.”
Watch the video below:
UPDATE ON MY CASE WITH JACK & TWITTER
Why I took @jack to Court.
I think the action have served its purpose. I’ve written to our lawyers to withdraw the case from court
I also tendered my sincere apologies to Nigerians who are pained by my #EndSARS actions
Nigeria shall rise pic.twitter.com/JlSWzCRsfP
— Adamu Garba II (@adamugarba) January 10, 2021
KanyiDaily recalls that Jack Dorsey had also created an #EndSARS Twitter emoji for Nigerian youths’ protesting against the extrajudicial activities of the now-defunct SARS.