Entertainment

Tems Makes History As First African Artiste To Debut At No 1 On Billboard Hot 100

Nigerian singer, Tems has made history as the first African artist to debut at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with her feature on “Wait For U” by Future alongside Drake.

Tems Debut No 1 On Billboard Hot 100

“Wait For U” is a single from Future’s new album “I Never Liked You”, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart after its release on May 5.

The song officially debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 on Monday, May 9, making Tems the first Nigerian and African female artist to top the chart.

Taking to its Twitter page, Billboard wrote, “Wait For U’ is the 1,137th No. 1 song in the #Hot100’s 63-year history, and the 61st to enter on top.

“Wait For U’ debuts with 40.2 million streams, 7.9 million radio airplay audience impressions and 6,400 downloads sold in the April 29-May 5 tracking week, according to Luminate.”

READ:  Akon Reveals His Favourite Musician Between Davido And Burna Boy [Video]

READ:  Davido Is Not Happy With The Rumours Filtering The Air About His Alleged Break-up With Girlfriend Chioma

Tems has also become the second Nigerian artist to go No. 1 at all; Wizkid did it first when he was featured on Drake’s No. 1 hit “One Dance” in 2016. She has also hit the Hot 100 as featured on Drake’s “Fountains” (No. 26 peak, September).

“Wait For U’ also made Drake the first rapper with ten No. 1 singles, while Future became the fifth artist to ever have a song debut at No. 1 on the Hot 100 and an album (I Never Liked You) premiere on top of the Billboard 200 in the same week.

READ:  My Ex-Husband’s Abused And Assaulted Me, Told Me He Is My Lord - Etinosa [Video]

Shortly after Billboard announced the feat, Tems took to Twitter and wrote: “The leading vibe”.

KanyiDaily recalls that Tems was recently nominated in the Global Music Star category for the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards 2022.

READ:  R. Kelly Reportedly Attacked In Chicago Prison By Fellow Inmate, Suffered 'Very Minor Injuries'

Business18 hours ago