Categories: NewsWorld News

Congo Bomb Blast: Several dead as terrorists bomb church

  • Congo Bomb Blast: the first indications show that it is the ADF which is behind this bomb attack.

At least five people were killed and over 15 wounded in a suspected Islamist militant bomb attack during a Sunday service at a Protestant church in the eastern Congolese city of Kasindi, on the border with Uganda.

Videos posted on social media showed bodies in the pews and blood on the floor. Other videos showed bloodied victims being carried and treated by bystanders outside the church.

Meanwhile, some Arabic sources reported that 17 people were killed and 20 were injured in this explosion.

So far, no more details have been published and no group has taken responsibility for it.

An army spokesman who spoke to Reuters said the attack during a Sunday service was likely carried out by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan militant group that has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State.

“Despite the security measures put in place, the first indications show that it is the ADF which is behind this bomb attack,”

A Kenyan national found at the scene without documents was detained” – Anthony Mualushay told Reuters by phone.

The ADF could not be reached for comment. It has not claimed responsibility for the bombing.

A resident who also spoke to Reuters via phone said;

“I just came back from the scene, where I saw the bodies of children on the ground,” said Kasindi resident Alain Kitsa by phone, describing the atmosphere after the Congo bomb blast as tense.

There are over 120 armed groups in mineral-rich eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, many of which are the result of regional wars that flared at the turn of the century.

The Allied Democratic Forces — which the Islamic State group claims as its affiliate in Central Africa — is active in the area of North Kivu where the church bomb attack took place.

It has been accused of slaughtering thousands of Congolese civilians and carrying out bomb attacks in neighbouring Uganda.

A joint Ugandan-Congolese military operation has targeted the ADF in North Kivu and neighboring Ituri province since it launched in November 2021.

Kanyi Okeke

Kanyi is the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of KanyiDaily.com. When she's not serving DAILY delicious scoops on Entertainment and news, you can find her reading a book by the beach. Keep up with Kanyi on Instagram and Twitter or through her email Kanyi@KanyiDaily.com

Recent Posts

Man Utd Captain Bruno Fernandes Named Premier League Player Of The Season

Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season for the 2025/26 campaign…

6 hours ago

Sheikh Gumi Denies Supporting Bandits, Says Videos And Statements Were Manipulated

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has denied claims linking him to support for banditry, saying the materials…

7 hours ago

Justice Mohammed Nasir Yunusa Slumps And Dies At His Residence In Kano

Justice Mohammed Nasir Yunusa of the Federal High Court in Kano has died after collapsing…

8 hours ago

Tobi Amusan Sets Season’s Best Time To Finish Second At Xiamen Diamond League

Nigerian sprinter Tobi Amusan finished second in the women’s 100m hurdles final at the Xiamen…

8 hours ago

Queen Mercy Atang Reveals Why She Wore Dress Made Of 500 Loaves Of Bread To AMVCA

Big Brother Naija reality star Queen Mercy Atang has explained the idea behind the unusual…

8 hours ago

Basira Beere Accuses Ex-Husband Of Beating Her Till She Lost 4 Pregnancies [Video]

Nollywood actress Omoshalewa Yusuf, popularly known as Basira Beere, has spoken about her failed marriage,…

9 hours ago