Categories: News

Telecom Subscribers’ Compensation For Poor Service Will Start In April – NCC

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has announced that its new directive requiring telecom operators to compensate subscribers for poor service quality will begin this month.

In a detailed FAQ released on Tuesday, the commission explained that the policy applies only to Mobile Network Operators that fail to meet the required Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for quality of service.

It also clarified that a separate compensation framework already exists for Internet Service Providers.

The NCC did not reveal which of the major operators comprising MTN, Airtel, Globacom, and 9mobile failed to meet the set standards.

According to the regulator, the compensation will cover service disruptions affecting voice calls, mobile data, and SMS services.

Explaining the eligibility criteria for the compensation, the Commission said: “You may be qualified if: You experienced poor network service in an affected Local Government Area; and  “You made at least one outgoing revenue-generating event (billed call, SMS, or data session) during the relevant period.”

It added that both individual and corporate subscribers are eligible under the framework.

The NCC also made it clear that users do not need to submit any application, as the compensation process will happen automatically.

Operators are required and mandated to identify affected subscribers and provide compensation directly.

“Only service failures that fall below the defined thresholds set by the Quality of Service Regulations issued by the NCC will qualify for compensation.

“Short, isolated interruptions and immediately remedied interruptions may not qualify,” the telecom regulator noted.

Late last month, the NCC, in a statement released by its Head of Public Affairs, Nnenna Ukoha, said it has directed Mobile Network Operators to compensate subscribers in areas where network quality falls below prescribed standards.

ALAO READ: Globacom Limited, NCC Dragged to Court Over Alleged ₦20bn Spectrum Deal Breach

Tobias Sylvester

Tobias Sylvester is the news editor for Kanyi Daily News and is based in Lagos. Contact Tobias at editor@kanyidaily.com. Got a confidential tip? Submit it here

Recent Posts

1,100 Nigerian Migrants Return From Niger Republic By Road – NIS

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has confirmed that more than 1,100 Nigerian migrants have returned…

9 hours ago

Yul Edochie Reveals Why Men Shouldn’t Hold Grudges Against Their Wives

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has advised married men not to stay angry with their wives,…

11 hours ago

Blaqbonez Reveals Why He Rejected Don Jazzy’s $1m To Join Mavin Records

Nigerian rapper Blaqbonez has revealed why he turned down an alleged offer to join Mavin…

11 hours ago

If You Sleep With My Wife As A Man, Your Life Will Get Spoilt Beyond Repair – Isreal DMW

Isreal DMW, the manager of Nigerian music star Davido, has warned that any man who…

12 hours ago

Pep Guardiola Confirms He Will Leave Manchester City After 10 Years

Pep Guardiola has confirmed he will leave Manchester City this weekend, bringing an end to…

12 hours ago

I Like Watching Videos Of My Husband Sleeping With Other Women – K. Michelle

American singer K. Michelle said she is not bothered if her husband has sexual relationships…

13 hours ago