PHOTOSPEAKS

7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes

7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes 3
This article was written by a dude called Kay Joker, and believe me, everything he pointed out is so so true!
Like me, I bet you’ve all run around with your bathing towels wrapped above your shoulders like a cape and pretended to be Superman (and if you haven’t then it’s never too late!). Ever since I was a little brat I wanted to take to the skies. Air travel is the next best thing and I’m always looking forward to having a glass plastic cup of ice-cold apple juice which always tastes better at 10,000 feet. What could possibly disrupt this moment of long-awaited bliss? Cue the Nigerians… On my recent return trip from New York alone I encountered 7 annoying things Nigerians did on the plane:

1. Securing beds…in Economy Class! There’s a game Nigerian passengers play whenever they’re on-board a semi-full airplane – It’s kind of similar to Musical Chairs…but without the music. Passengers snub the seats assigned to them and scout for a stretch of three to four empty seats before take-off. Handbags and other luggage items are strategically placed on empty seats in the hope for that Business Class experience – pathetic.
2. Making dramatic Nollywood scenes. Whoever said ‘Rules are meant to be broken’ must have been a Nigerian. We’re pretty damn good at breaking rules…into smithereens, just for good measure. There was one woman sat at the front of economy class with her less-than-a-year-old baby. She put her baby down on the empty seat next to her when the seat belt light was off (not sure if that’s proper in the first place but I’ll let her off on that one). The moment the seat belt light was back on, however, one of the air hostesses called her to order and told her to strap her baby in place – RED ALERT! RED ALERT! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! You knew from the way the irritated mother turned her neck with that ‘oh-no-you-didn’t’ expression all over her face that cabin pressure was under serious threat. Needless today she told the air hostess to mind her own business – ironically, that’s what the air-hostess was trying to do in the first place…Safety of passengers…DUH! I can’t remember if the thud I heard later on was due to turbulence or because the baby had rolled off the chair…
3. Taking pictures. You can imagine trying to enjoy a good book when suddenly the corner of your eye picks up the flash photography of some newbie whose obviously hell-bent on convincing everyone back in Nigeria that he/she indeed travel abroad. Newsflash! There may be people with photosensitive epilepsy on-board or nearby pilots wondering if there is a terrorist hijacking, with one unfortunate Nigerian who decided to break one simple rule ‘DON’T MOVE!’ (go figure!)
4. Farting. It’s bad enough you left your assigned seat at the front and decided to come behind me and stretch yourself across four empty seats. Now you’re so generous as to share your flatulence with me in small doses of ammonia-laced farts…not a one-off…periodic discharges which could catch choke me unawares if I dare yawn. FYI, avoid fizzy drinks on the plane if you know you can’t handle your abdominal tract like few pros among us.
5. Drink to stupor. Is it the sheer pettiness of wanting to get one’s money’s worth that would make a passenger drink like a fish? (Remember, its Nigerians we’re talking about here). Of course, it’s not the drinking that bothers me but the mindless banter and laughter at completely ‘unfunny’ things that drives me up the Berlin wall (just like that – after a couple of drinks you’d be in stitches when you read ‘drive me up the berlin wall’).
6. Leaving toilets unlocked. Common sense consistently fails to prevail when most Nigerians use the airline’s restrooms. It all boils down to refusing to acknowledge the instructions/directions carefully displayed all around them. It’s quite simple – you enter the restroom and close it behind you. Right there on door is a slide lock which denotes ‘Slide left to lock and right to open’. Why wouldn’t I be interested in making sure that no one accidentally sees my ‘bits’? Didn’t they notice the green ‘vacant’ or the red ‘occupied’ sign before entering the lavatory? At my last count I’ve walked in on 3 unfortunate passengers who forgot to lock behind (but they all did once I exposed them…makes you wonder, eh?).
7. Sitting ovation. I’m not sure if you can relate but you’re nearing your flight destination and as soon as the plane lands successfully passengers around you start to clap until virtually everyone joins in. Why are they doing this, you ask? beats me – for landing safely or for not crashing into the deep blue sea or for getting their money’s worth after usurping the mini bar…I dunno. The clapping is cheesy in my opinion. I’d much prefer passengers go one by one to shake the pilot(s) for a job well done plane well-landed.
And coming in at a surprise number 8 is Irregular exercise. Make no mistake about it, Nigerians are terrified about premature death, more so than the average civilian (if that makes any sense). I’ve seen the most bizarre repetitions performed from kicking mid-air to punching only your left arm over the seat head in the same direction. Deep Vein thrombosis is no laughing matter so I guess all I have to do is close my eyes next time if I don’t want to behold seemingly amateurish ‘Kung-fu’.
See you on the next flight and God help you if you’re sitting next to me, lol.

4 Comments

4 Comments

1. Anonymous

April 1, 2013 at 8:50 am

Very funny. I agree on d one of taking pictures. Nigerians sabi do dat one sha.

2. Anonymous

April 1, 2013 at 5:12 pm

very true. I don't know why they clap hand too, so annoying

3. thatmogbemoment

April 1, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Abeg not only nigerians jor ..

4. Yang Ku

April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm

How many Nigerians has the writer met to generalize that most Nigerians or all Nigerians do that? The truth is that "most" Nigerians don't fly. To meet some business people doing their things on flight does not represent "most" Nigerians!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Chivido 2024: “Oya Come My Wedding” - Davido Taunts People Claiming He’s Too Accessible

Chivido 2024: “Oya Come My Wedding” – Davido Taunts People Claiming He’s Too Accessible

Chelsea Agrees £19m Deal With Aston Villa For Teenager Star, Omari Kellyman

Chelsea Agrees £19m Deal With Aston Villa For Teenager Star, Omari Kellyman

Davido Abandoned Imade Because I Refused To Sleep With Him - Sophia Momodu

Davido Abandoned Imade Because I Refused To Sleep With Him – Sophia Momodu

Unregistered Tiger Nut Drinks Caused Lagos Cholera Outbreak, Death Toll Rises To 24
Health15 hours ago

Sister Of Abuja Cab Driver Accused By Daniella Peters Denies Kidnap Allegations [Video]

Ayra Starr Reveals Why She Can No Longer Stand Straight

Ayra Starr Reveals Why She Can No Longer Stand Straight

Fubara Appoints Wodo To Replace Wike’s Ally Awuse As Chairman Of Rivers Traditional Rulers Council
Politics19 hours ago

Dammy Krane Continues 'Murder' Allegations Against Davido Despite Cease And Desist Letter

Dammy Krane Continues ‘Murder’ Allegations Against Davido Despite Cease And Desist Letter

How I Was Almost Kidnapped By A Cab Driver In Abuja - BBNaija’s Daniella Peters

How I Was Almost Kidnapped By A Cab Driver In Abuja – BBNaija’s Daniella Peters

Davido Issues Cease And Desist To Dammy Krane, Threatens Defamation Lawsuit

Davido Issues Cease And Desist To Dammy Krane, Threatens Defamation Lawsuit

Journalist Joe Waksi Found Dead Days After He Was Declared Missing In Abuja
Metro2 days ago

Journalist Joe Waksi Found Dead Days After He Was Declared Missing In Abuja

A Man Can Have 5 Girlfriends, But If Your Wife Dates Another Man, Your Life Is In Danger - Joe Igbokwe

A Man Can Have 5 Girlfriends, But If Your Wife Dates Another Man, Your Life Is In Danger – Joe Igbokwe

"They Tried To Stop Davido, Chioma’s Wedding But God’s Will Happened" - Cubana Chief Priest [Video]

“They Tried To Stop Davido, Chioma’s Wedding But God’s Will Happened” – Cubana Chief Priest [Video]

The Engagement Ring I Gave Chioma Can Buy 3 Rolls Royce - Davido Brags [Video]

The Engagement Ring I Gave Chioma Can Buy 3 Rolls Royce – Davido Brags [Video]

"I’ll Never Be A 50/50 Man" – IK Osakioduwa Says He'll Never Split Bill With His Wife [Video]

“I’ll Never Be A 50/50 Man” – IK Osakioduwa Says He’ll Never Split Bill With His Wife [Video]

Kano Government Orders Bayero's Eviction From Mini Palace, Demolition Of Building

Kano Government Orders Bayero’s Eviction From Mini Palace, Demolition Of Building

Jaywon Tackles Ayra Starr And Her Supporters For Disrespectful Use Of Their Photo

Bianca Censori Goes Topless In Suspenders For Dinner With Kanye West [Photos]

Bianca Censori Goes Topless In Suspenders For Dinner With Kanye West [Photos]

Kanayo Accuses Angel Unigwe And Her Mother Of Contract Breach, Threatens Disruptions [Video]

“I Have Only 10 Years Left To Look Beautiful” – Kim Kardashian