She was said to have issued the ultimatum through a man who used her telephone to communicate with the family.
An initial N15m was demanded by the kidnappers but it had been reduced to N13m after much appeal by the victim’s mother.
The Orekoya family had posted on OLX, an online sales portal, seeking the service of a nanny for their kids and 23-year-old lady, Akinloye, indicated interest by calling the family.
The family was reported to have invited her to their home on Lawanson Road, Itire, Lagos.
When the family demanded the contact of her relatives, she was said to have given them two telephone numbers, which she claimed belonged to her brother and sister.
It was learnt that the family fixed a day in the week for formalisation and documentation of the arrangement.
The Orekoya family reportedly agreed on Tuesday to a monthly salary of N10, 000 to N15, 0000 with Akinloye, who claimed to be looking for money to continue her education.
After the family left the home on Wednesday morning, about 24 hours after she was employed, she allegedly ran away with the three kids, named Aderomola (11 months old), Adedamola (four years old), Demola (six years old).
Akinloye was working with a kidnapping syndicate who contacted the family and demanded N15m as ransom. Yesterday (Friday 10th march), the kidnappers reduced the ransom to N13m and efforts to cut a fairer deal with the kidnappers had been abortive.
The victims’ father, Leke, told Punch correspondent that the family received a text message from the kidnappers on yesterday afternoon, saying the children’s life depended on the payment of the ransom within 24 hours of the ultimatum. Although, this was later reviewed to 48 hours.
“They said we should produce the money in 24 hours or they would ‘delete’ our kids.
“Our major concern is our 11 months old baby who needs extra care.”
Their mother, Adebisi, said the incident had started affecting her mentally.
She appealed to Nigerians of goodwill to support the family with funds, adding that the family could not afford to pay the ransom.
“I called the line of the nanny and a man picked the call. He initially demanded N15m, but after I begged him, he agreed to take N13m.
“We have been exchanging text messages and he has insisted on N13m. He has also assured us that we have no other option than to pay the money.
“I spoke with the children and they said the kidnappers were treating them well and that they were doing fine.
“I’m sure if they get the money today, they will release my children to me. All they need is the money.
“I appeal to the government, politicians in the country, Nigerians of goodwill to please help us before it is too late.
“After my children have been released to me, the police can then begin their investigation.”