Former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, has denied being involved in the alleged divertion of funds meant for the procurement of arms during him tenure.

Tukur Buratai Breaks Silence On ‘Missing Billions’ Approved For Weapons Purchase 3

KanyiDaily recalls that the National Security Adviser to the President, Maj.-Gen Babagana Monguno (retd.), had alleged that the immediate past service chiefs could not account for the money approved to purchase weapons during their tenure.

Despite collecting billions for purchase of arms, the new service chiefs could not find any newly acquired weapons and other military hardware when they assumed office.

Reacting in a statement issued on behalf of Buratai, Osuagwu Ugochukwu, his lawyer, said funds meant for arms did not get missing under the former army chief.

READ:  FA Cup Final: Man City 1-2 Man United, Updates, Score, Analysis, Highlights [Video]

“My attention has been drawn to an interview granted BBC by National Security Adviser (NSA), RTD Major General Babagana Monguno, wherein he was alleged to have accused former service chiefs of filtering ARMS Fund away.”

“I can confirm that Lt. General Buratai and other ex-service chiefs were never mentioned in the interview and neither was any arms fund missing under the stewardship of Lt. Gen T.Y. Buratai.

“Interestingly, NSA Babagana Monguno has denied making such accusations. We, therefore, urge members of the public to discountenance any such misquoted narrative suggesting sleaze on the integrity of Rtd Lt Gen T.Y. Buratai.

“Anyone interested in knowing how arms were procured by the ex-service chiefs and particularly Lt Gen T.Y. Buratai should channel such request for information to the Ministry of Defence,” the statement read.

This allegation is coming two weeks after the Nigerian Senate confirmed all the ex-service chiefs as non-career ambassadors, following their nomination by President Buhari.

READ:  Bandits Kills 16 Nigerian Police In Zamfara, 104 bandits Also Killed By Policemen

Business19 hours ago