Former President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has finally joined the All Progressive Congress, APC and has accepted the presidential form that was purchased for him by a Fulani group.
This is coming hours after the ex-president through his aide stated that he didn’t authorize any form purchase and dissociated himself from such an arrangement.
However, in a recent development, a credible source in Mr Jonathan’s camp, state-run newswire, News Agency of Nigeria, revealed that the ex-president has resolved to contest in the APC primaries to be the party’s presidential flagbearer.
The source who pleaded anonymity disclosed that Jonathan has also joined APC formally after registering at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.
Jonathan is expected to submit the duly filled forms bought on his behalf on Thursday, the source said.
According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source disclosed.
The source told NAN political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Mr Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.
“At least three top African leaders called the former president on the matter. They all urged him to run.
“One of them specifically told him that it didn’t make sense travelling all over Africa settling disputes only to shy away from leadership responsibility in his home country.
“Another reminded him of the implication of failing to put the experiences he garnered as a former Nigerian president and as a continental statesman to good use,” the source spilt.
Kanyi Daily recalls that Miyetti Allah also denied buying the presidential form for Goodluck Jonathan.