PHOTOSPEAKS

Over 2,000 cult members yesterday embraced the amnesty declared by the Rivers State Government.

The cult members, who were involved in kidnappings, killings and armed robberies in the past, surrendered their weapons before members of the state Amnesty Committee in Isiokpo, the headquarters of Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state.

Over 2,000 Militants, Kidnappers and Armed Robbers Give Up Arms, Embrace Peace in Rivers 3

Some of the weapons surrendered by them included AK 47 rifles, G3, dane guns, dynamite, NATO gun and detonators.

Speaking shortly after receiving weapons from the repentant militants, the Chairman of the Amnesty Committee, Mr. Ken Chinda, explained that peace was expected to return to Ikwerre council area after the event.

Identifying the cult groups as Iceland and Debam, Chinda charged them to not to go back to crime, adding that the state government was sincere about helping them to achieve their dreams.

Chinda warned that soldiers would fish out militants that refused to accept the amnesty declared by Governor Nyesom Wike.

He also declared two of the cult leaders, Samuel Nkasiobi, aka Italian, and Okechukwu Amadi, aka Gunboat as enemies of the state for refusing to accept amnesty.

“We are all witnesses to what some misguided youths have done in Ikwerre LGA where people are predominantly farmers. Many could not farm because the militants are living in the forest where their farms are located,” Chinda added.

He urged them to shun acts capable of discouraging investors from doing business in the state.

Earlier, the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Ikwerre LGA, Mr. Samuel Nwanosike, explained that with the repentance of the cult members, farmers would be free to work on their farms.

The council chairman said the two cult leaders, who refused to accept the state government’s amnesty, would be declared wanted after a week.

He added that the sum of N10m would be paid to anybody that could give any information on their whereabouts

News1 day ago