30 Persons Killed As Boko Haram Insurgents Abducts Passengers On Maiduguri-Damaturu Highway 3

Suspected Boko Haram members have killed over 30 civilians while kidnapping some travellers along the Maiduguri-Damaturu Highway.

Daily Trust reports that the incident happened around 9:50pm on Sunday, in Auno town, Konduga local government area of Borno state.

The insurgents reportedly destroyed and burnt 17 vehicles and goods worth millions of naira during the attack in the area.

Ba’na Auno, one of the residents who escaped the attack said the insurgents had stopped the passengers in Auno due to closure of entrance into Maiduguri town at 6 pm.

“They came at exactly 9.50 pm on Sunday and started shooting sporadically and we fled into bushes for safety,” Auno said.

“They came at exactly 9:50pm on Sunday and started shooting sporadically and we fled into bushes for safety. Unfortunately when we returned this morning to Auno town, we found out that nine passengers were killed but five of them could not be identified as a result of severe burnt.”

Another resident, Modu Babagana said that several women were abducted by the insurgents, with houses torched in the attack.

He also said commercial vehicles including eight trucks loaded with goods were burnt along with the consignments.

“They made away with a Hummer bus, a Golf car and J5 bus loaded with women. They also looted houses and shops before setting them ablaze,” Modu explained.

Meanwhile, the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum visited the scene if the incident on Monday.

The governor was in the location to assess the level of damage caused by the terrorists and also to sympathise with the victims of the attack.

Business18 hours ago