Two sources told AFP the number of fatalities from the attack Friday had doubled as more bodies were found and now included 12 policemen, five soldiers, four members of a government-backed militia, and nine civilians.
“The tally has increased to 30 as many bodies were picked in the surrounding areas after the attack,” one of the sources said, adding that “many people were injured”.
kanyiDaily had reported that 15 security personnel comprising eight policemen, three soldiers and four Civilian-JTF personnel were killed by suspected Boko Haram gunmen who ambushed a convoy of Governor Zulum.
The incident happened around 2 pm on Friday, September 25, 2020, when the convoy was heading to Baga town ahead of government’s planned return of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Maiduguri to the camps.
It was gathered that Governor Zulum, who is expected to supervise the arrival of the IDPs at Baga, had left Maiduguri earlier in the day with a military chopper.
The Borno State government and the security agencies whose personnel were affected are yet to officially comment on the attack.
The attack is coming barely two months after Governor Zulum was attacked around the same axis by the Boko Haram insurgents on his way from Baga.