HumAngle reported that the Boko Haram terrorists beheaded 43 rice farmers in Zabarmari, less than 20 km from Maiduguri, where Nigerian Army has used as headquarters in the ongoing war against insurgency.
Nasiru Usman, one of the farmers who escaped during the attack, went to town with the news, adding thst the attackers also abducted seven farmers.
Usman said trouble started after some farmers apprehended a Boko Haram insurgent who approached them with the request for food.
“Unknowingly, he was accompanied by dozens of other militants who were hiding inside the bush,” he said.
“So immediately they tied him and seized his gun, his other colleagues quickly stormed the scene, and opened fire on the farmers, while they took to their heels.
“At exactly 11am, the group declared blanket killing against all the farmers harvesting their products. They began by abducting seven.
“So far, we have recovered up to 45 bodies. Our civilian JTF, police and military are still searching for more bodies. We won’t know how many are missing so far for now since more bodies are still being found.”
Several bullet wounds were seen on the bodies of the deceased farmers, according to another source who helped in recovering the corpses and preparing them for burial.
Residents have reportedly said the victims would not be buried until Governor Babagana Zulum arrived to see the carnage, HumAngle reported.
Reacting in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, President Buhari described the killing of the farmers as senseless, adding that the entire country is hurt as a result of the killings.
President @MBuhari has expressed grief over the killing of farmers on rice fields at Zabarmari, in Jere Local Government of Borno State, describing the terrorist killings as insane.
— Garba Shehu (@GarShehu) November 28, 2020
“President @MBuhari has expressed grief over the killing of farmers on rice fields at Zabarmari, in Jere Local Government of Borno State, describing the terrorist killings as insane.
“I condemn the killing of our hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls Rest In Peace.”
President Buhari further said that his government has given all the needed support to the armed forces, to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory.
This is coming weeks after 11 men were killed by Boko Haram insurgents who also kidnapped 9 women at Takulashe village of Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State.