Motivation

Two Nigerian students, Joy Bishara and Lydia Pogu, have graduated from Southeastern University in the United States, seven years after escaping from Boko Haram captivity.

Two Chibok Girls Graduate From US University, 7 Years After Escaping Boko Haram [Video] 5

Bishara and Pogu were among the 276 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state on April 14, 2014.

The duo managed to escape from Boko Haram captivity by jumping off the truck while they were being carted away by the insurgents.

Seven years after they were offered scholarship in Southeastern University, Bishara graduated with a degree in social work, while Pogu earned her degree in legal studies. Both graduated on April 30, 2021.

READ:  Nigeria’s Okonjo-Iweala and Ex-World Bank President Robert Zoellick Join Twitter’s Board of Directors

Recounting their ordeal during an interview on GMA3, Bishara recalled how she had to decide if she was going to die from an accident or in the hands of the insurgents.

“I remember thinking about what my mum would do at that moment then I prayed. I just remembered a voice in my head saying ‘jump out’. I knew I was going to die either way. I chose to die and that was how I jumped out,” Bishara told GMA3.

When asked how she felt on the day of her graduation, she said:

“It was awesome, I felt great. I remember being told that I wasn’t going to be able to finish high school; that I was dumb. I never gave up or listened to all the negative talks. It was exciting to walk on that stage after being told ‘you can’t do it’.”

READ:  Meet Adejoke Lasisi, Who Makes Beautiful Clothes, Bags, Shoes From Satchet Water Nylons

On her part, Pogu said she had decided against going back to school after her escape until she was contacted by the US embassy.

“I’m trying to get my masters in human services and going back to law school when I’m done with my masters,” Pogu said.

Both girls graduated from Canyonville Christian Academy in Oregon in February 2017, after which they met with ex-President Donald Trump.

READ:  Miracle: How Matron From Nowhere Stopped My 7-Hour Non-Stop Bleeding But Doctors Don't Know Her - Nigerian Lady Recounts

Watch the video below:

KanyiDaily recalls that three months ago, some Chibok girls who are still in Boko Haram captivity, reportedly escaped from the insurgents and returned home.

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari had vowed that his administration would ensure the safe return of the remaining 112 abducted Chibok girls.

READ:  Wizkid Missing As Odumodublvck Ranks Burna Boy Ahead Of Davido In Top 5 Artists [Video]

News1 day ago