Metro

Sylvester Oromoni’s Family Kick Against N1m Bail Granted To Detained Dowen College Students

The family of late Dowen College student, Sylvester Oromoni Junior, has kicked against the N1million bail granted to the boy’s murder suspects by a Magistrate’s court in Yaba, Lagos.

Sylvester Oromoni's Family Kick Against N1m Bail Granted To Detained Dowen College Students

KanyiDaily recalls that on December 9, five Dowen College students were remanded in a juvenile home over the death of Sylvester, who was allegedly bullied in school for refusing to join a cult.

The police, which was given 21 days to keep the underage suspects at the juvenile remand centre, charged the boys who are minors with conspiracy and homicide.

However, on Tuesday, December 21, the Magistrate court granted N1 million bail each to the five students charged with the alleged murder of the 12-year-old Oromoni.

Reacting during a chat with Daily Sun, Oromoni’s father wondered why the court granted them bail when the 21 days requested by the police for investigation was yet to elapse.

READ:  How God Killed UNILAG Lecturer Who Tried To Sleep With My Daughter - Bishop Wale Oke

Mr Oromoni said releasing the suspects may hinder the investigation, noting that though the family was not against granting the bail, the court should have waited at least for the 21 days to elapse.

He said, “Yesterday I was called that those boys were granted bail by a Magistrate Court in Yaba, Lagos. I said, “why?” I now called the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State and he told me; I was not aware, and that they were not done with the investigation.

“I called the DCP in charge of the case who later confirmed to me that the story is true.

“But it was a surprise to me that the same judge gave them 21 days which expires on the 28 of this month when the police requested for the remand order. The court granted 21 days to keep those boys.

“And the 21 days have not expired, and the court granted them bail. I am calling on President Muhammadu Buhari, the Lagos State Government and the Inspector General of Police to please take note.

READ:  Burna Boy Teams Up With Spotify To Launch His Own Bank ''Burna Bank'' In New York [Photos/Video]

“Secondly, the police said they are not done with the investigation, that granting the boys bail will not help their investigation, they are getting more facts.

“And they were even planning that after the 21 days if they are not done with their investigation, they will ask for an extension. I am surprised that the court granted them bail when the date given has not elapsed.

“I am not a lawyer but what the family is saying is that they should allow the police to conclude their investigation. I am not saying that they should not be granted bail but it is the court that gave the police 21 days.”

This comes a few days after the Nigerian Police Force conducted an autopsy on the body of late Sylvester Oromoni Junior and subsequently released the remains to his parents for burial.

READ:  Man Stabs Lover’s Husband To Death After Being Confronted About Affair With His Wife

News1 day ago