“No 3rd Term For Me, First Person Who Tried Didn’t End Well” – Buhari Tells Boris Johnson

President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated that he had no plan to extend his tenure, saying the first person that tried to go for a third term didn’t end well.

"No 3rd Term For Me, First Person Who Tried Didn’t End Well" - Buhari Tells Boris Johnson

Buhari and Boris Johnson

The president spoke on Thursday during a bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson, on the sideline of the 26th Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Kigali, Rwanda.

A statement by Femi Adesina, presidential spokesperson, said the British prime minister had asked if Buhari would run for office again, and he responded by saying: “Another term for me? No! The first person who tried it didn’t end very well.”

The president also denied that Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), was not being allowed to see his lawyers.

He said the separatist activist is provided with every opportunity under the law “to justify all the uncomplimentary things he had been saying against Nigeria in Britain”.

READ:  Governor Obiano Places N20m Bounty On Killers Of Dr Chike Akunyili, Others In Anambra

“He felt very safe in Britain and said awful things against Nigeria. We eventually got him when he stepped out of the United Kingdom, and we sent him to court,” Buhari said.

“Let him defend all that he has said there. His lawyers have access to him. Remember he jumped bail before, how are we sure he won’t do it again if he’s admitted to bail?”

Speaking on the Boko Haram insurgency, Buhari said serious efforts are underway to educate the people on the fact that only an “unserious person” could kill innocent people and ascribe it to God.

“And the education process is working, the people now understand Boko Haram as anti-God, and not about religion,” he said.

In his remarks, Johnson expressed delight in the trade relations between both countries, adding that the UK was further reducing tariffs on some goods going to Nigeria.

“I just want to be sure that we are doing enough. It’s a massive partnership for us, and we need to capitalise on it,” he said.

This comes a few days after President Muhammadu Buhari appealed to international partners to declare the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) a terrorist organization.

READ:  Nigerians Reacts As Yul Edochie Shares Judy Austin’s Pregnancy Photoshoot [Video]

News1 day ago