Senate Begins Probe Of Senator Elisha Abbo Over Assault Against Woman At Sex Toy Shop In Abuja 3

The Senate on Wednesday, set up a bipartisan ad hoc committee headed by a former governor of Ebonyi State, Sam Egwu, to probe the alleged assault on a woman at an adult toy shop in Abuja by Senator Elisha Abbo.

KanyiDaily had published a video of Elisha Abbo, representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, repeatedly slapping a woman after she pleaded with him not to physically assault the shopowner whom the senator had accused of insulting him.

The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, constituted the panel following a point of order raised by the Senator representing Kaduna Central, Uba Sani.

The President of the Senate confirmed that he had been inundated with calls from concerned Nigerians within and outside the country asking the Senate to explain what happened.

Lawan said it would be unfair on either the Senator or the assaulted lady if the Senate should pass a judgment immediately based on the viral video clip.

He, therefore, asked the ad hoc committee to probe the issue critically by inviting both parties and submit its report within two weeks.

Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the arrest of Senator Abbo for the alleged assault. The police force said they are doing everything within their powers to restore dignity to the force, following the conduct of the police orderly attached to the senator.

News1 day ago