The AFP news agency said that 59 bodies had been recovered, while Reuters reported that 69 people were killed during the attack on Tuesday afternoon, June 9, 2020.
Three sources told Reuters that the insurgents arrived in vehicles and on motorcycles, shooting with AK-47s, razing the village and stealing 1,200 cattle and camels.
A resident, a Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) member and a soldier each confirmed the same account.
They said the men attacked because they suspected residents of sharing information on Boko Haram’s movements with security authorities.
“It’s an unfortunate day for us to witness this,” said CJTF fighter Kachallah Bumu.
While he said the residents were armed, and had repelled previous attacks, this one caught them off guard. “They took us unaware and killed our people,” he said