The top floor of the World Trade Centre in Abuja’s Central District was on Monday morning gutted by fire.
Spokesperson of the Federal Fire Service (FFS), Ugo Huan said personnel of the service were immediately drafted to the scene and they succeeded in putting out the fire.
Though it was not immediately certain what could have caused the fire, eyewitnesses at the scene said it may have been as a result of electrical fault from the power source being used for the construction of the building.
President Goodluck Jonathan had in September 2011 launched the project said to cost over $1 billion with an estimated completion date initially slated for 2013.
The building is yet uncompleted. At 110m (361ft), the 24-floor WTC Tower 1, which topped out in 2015 is said to be the tallest residential building in Nigeria, while WTC Tower 2 is the tallest building in Abuja, standing at 120m (394ft).
Watch videos from the scene below:
The World Trade Centre building in Abuja which houses the LNG company is currently on fire.
— KOIKIMEDIA (@KoikiMedia) July 13, 2020
— Atlantide (@Atlantide4world) July 13, 2020
Video emerges of smoke rising from Nigeria's "World trade Centre in Abuja" pic.twitter.com/lr3IqVxuxR
— Káyọ̀dé Ògúndámisí (@ogundamisi) July 13, 2020