Metro

Drunk Policeman Kills Nigerian Soldier Guarding Shehu Of Borno At His Palace

A drunk policeman from the mobile unit has reportedly killed a warrant officer of the Nigerian soldier, Donatus Vonkong, who was providing security for the Shehu of Borno, Abubakar El-Kanemi, at his palace.

Drunk Policeman Kills Nigerian Soldier Guarding Shehu Of Borno At His Palace

Policeman Kill Soldier At Shehu Of Borno Palace

According to TheCable, the incident happened around midnight on Tuesday when the policeman returned to the palace area drunk and was “misbehaving”.

Sources at the palace said that the warrant officer who heads the security unit at the palace had to intervene, but the policeman started shooting sporadically and a bullet hit the soldier in the chest and he died immediately.

A source said, “He first ordered that the policeman be disarmed, but his policemen colleagues started begging that he would be fine.

“Vonkong agreed, and we thought the matter had been addressed. Suddenly, the policeman engaged his rifle and started shooting sporadically. It was while trying to get around him that a bullet hit Vonkong in the chest and he died immediately.”

READ:  Rema, Omah Lay React After Being Called Out Over 'Poor Performances' At Afronation

The situation almost led to a fight between the army and the police, sources said, but senior officers from both agencies quickly intervened.

Another source said, “There was a delegation of senior police officers from the command who immediately went to see the army’s theatre commander.

“The matter was going to escalate and this could lead to soldiers, in retaliation, opening fire on police officers. In fact, a number of policemen immediately left their duty post in fear of a retaliatory attack.”

READ:  “I Used To Wash Ladies’ Pant As Cleaner” – Ola of Lagos Recounts Past Struggles [Videp]

Vonkong was said to have been handpicked by the Shehu to serve as his chief of security since 2012 when he reportedly saved the monarch from a suicide bomber.

El-Kanemi had escaped the bomb blast that went off immediately after Jumat prayers at a mosque in front of his palace. About 10 people died in the blast.

Vonkong who had noticed the suicide bomber moving close to the Shehu was said to have jumped to pull out the Shehu. The soldier also sustained injury while ensuring the safety of the monarch.

KanyiDaily had also reported how a policeman shot dead a soldier over disagreements at a drinking spot in Bomadi Local Government Area of Delta State.

READ:  Man Commits Suicide After Losing Company's N150,000 To Sports Betting In Abuja

News1 day ago