in

Abuja-Kaduna Train: Whereabouts Of 171 Passengers Remain Unknown One Week After Attack

One week after bandits attacked a train with 362 passengers on board, the whereabouts of over 171 passengers remain unknown.

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has disclosed that a total of 170 passengers who boarded the Abuja-Kaduna train attacked by terrorists on Monday have reunited with their families and loved ones.

Abuja-Kaduna Train: Whereabouts Of 170 Passengers Remain Unknown One Week After Attack

Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack

KanyiDaily had reported how a train heading from Abuja to Kaduna was attacked by terrorists who opened fire on over 970 passengers on board, killing some and whisking away unspecified number of people on Monday night, March 28.

However, in a statement yesterday, NRC Managing Director, Engr. Fidet Okhiria insisted that 362 passengers were on the manifest and not 970 as circulated in some news blogs.

According to him, while 170 were safe, 21 were missing, but nothing has been heard or said about the remaining 171 passengers that boarded the ill fated train.

Okhiria said “You will recall that on the 28th of March, 2022, suspected bandits attacked the last evening train, AK9 on the Abuja-Kaduna train service with explosives, leading to the death of some passengers and the destruction of the train and track. Because of the level of damage on the track and in honour of those who lost their lives, the Corporation suspended train operations on the affected route.

“For the records, there were eleven coaches on the train worked by Loco2502, which is made up of four SPA Coaches with 56 sitting capacity per coach and seven SP Coaches with 88 sitting capacity per coach. The train manifests contained 362 validated passengers aboard the train.

READ:  Chika Nwoba: Ebonyi APC Spokesman Resigns, Says He Can’t Work With Governor Umahi

“The Corporation, in continuation of its concerted efforts through repeated calls, has been able to confirm the safety of 170 passengers, while 21 passengers are reported missing by their relatives who made calls to us. The Corporation is seriously collaborating with the security agencies who had already swung into action, in line with the directives of Mr. President to do everything possible to rescue all those that are still missing.

“The Corporation is also not resting on its oars as it has heavily moved human and material resources to the accident site to make sure that train services resumed without further delays inother to reduce the stress that our passengers are currently going through. In practical terms, a high powered restoration team led by Directors has been working round the clock to re-rail the coaches affected by the bomb blast.

“There is a coordinated two-pronged simultaneous restoration approach. While Loco 2702 with re-railment and restoration materials departed Idu station, Abuja to the bomb blast site, another team with Loco 2502 departed Rigasa station, Kaduna with re-railment and restoration materials to the same site.

READ:  Nigerian Women Should Stop Using 'Tissue Paper', It Causes Cervical Cancer - Medical Expert

“I am happy to inform the general public that as at the close of work on 1st of April, 2022, Coaches SP00004, SP00009, SP00012,SP00013 have all re-railed and safely taken to our Rigasa Station in Kaduna. Restoration of tracks for full resumption of normal train services will continue today, 2nd of April, 2022.

“It may also interest you to know that arrangement have equally been put in place for increased security along the track and onboard the train to prevent the reoccurrence of the unfortunate incident.”

KanyiDaily recalls that a medical doctor identified as Dr Chinelo Megafo had been confirmed as one of the eight persons killed in the attack, while many others were injured and about 171 passengers are unaccounted for.

READ:  Lagos State Government Shuts Down All Schools To Avoid Spread Of Coronavirus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

2023: Yahaya Bello Declares For Presidency, Promises To Create 20m Millionaires By 2030

2023: Yahaya Bello Declares For Presidency, Promises To Create 20m Millionaires By 2030

Abroad Returnee Catches Girlfriend With Side Guy, Partying With N500k He Gave Her For Her Mum’s Medical Bills [Video]

Abroad Returnee Catches Girlfriend With Side Guy, Partying With N500k He Gave Her For Her Mum’s Medical Bills [Video]