in ,

BBNaija: Lai Mohammed Reportedly Asks NBC To Shutdown Big Brother Naija Show

Lai Mohammed to shutdown the BBNaija show due to possible spread of COVID-19 among inmates.

The Minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed has reportedly asked the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to stop airing Big Brother Naija (BBNaija).

According to TheCable, the acting director-general of the NBC, Armstrong Idachaba, told senior management members that he had been directed by Lai Mohammed to shut down the BBNaija show due to possible spread of COVID-19 among inmates.

The minister had reportedly sent a letter to NBC on July 1, 2020 before the BBNaija show began. His move to shut down the show is believed to be because of the general opinion that he is bent on sending MultiChoice Ltd, producers of the show, out of Nigeria.

Mohammed is believed to have launched political moves against MultiChoice in order to pave the way for his main consultant to make a return to Pay TV after previously failing.

READ ALSO
Onlookers Cheer As Two Pastors Fight Inside Market Over Space To Preach [Video]

However, insiders told TheCable that the NBC management was not well disposed to the move to shut down BBNaija, with some of them saying there was no basis for it.

A director is said to have reminded the meeting that NBC had already sought explanation from Multichoice on a possible violation of COVID-19 protocols with the airing of the show.

MultiChoice replied with detailed explanations on measures taken in collaboration with the Lagos state government, whose agency, Lagos State Safety Commission, gave the green light for the show.

READ ALSO
VIDEO: Obama's Tribute To Nelson Mandela

Also, MultiChoice said in the letter that housemates had been screened prior to the show and that the BBN House had been decontaminated and adapted to ensure sufficient physical distancing, in addition to eliminating the use of live audience.

All inmates went through a mandatory two-week isolation during which COVID-19 symptoms would have manifested if they had the disease.

A second director is said to have told the meeting that participants of the show had maintained the safety protocols, notably generous use of hand sanitisers, since it started on Sunday.

Idachaba, who is reportedly fighting to be confirmed as the substantive DG, was asked to request the minister for a written directive.

READ ALSO
Akpabio Releases List Of Nigerian Lawmakers Who Got NDDC Contracts

However, the acting DG was said to have told the meeting that he would have no other option than to carry out Mohammed’s order — the same way he altered the broadcast code to please the minister despite public outcry.

Idachaba, in his response to TheCable, simply said BBN will not be taken off air but did not provide any further information.

KanyiDaily had reported that the BBNaija show entered its fifth season on July 20, 2020, with 20 participants battling for the grand prize of N85M worth of gifts in the next 70 days (10 Weeks).

READ ALSO
Indebted Okada Rider Dies In An Accident, Leaving Behind 6 Widows And 30 Children

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Dbanj Has Been Vindicated As Seyitan Babatayo Withdraws Her Rαpe Allegation Against Him

Many Feared Dead As Three-Storey Building Collapses In Ebute-Metta Area Of Lagos [Photos/Video]