Politics

Ademola Adeleke Reacts To Election Tribunal Verdict Which Sacked Him As Osun Governor

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke has rejected the judgement of the Election Petition Tribunal that sacked him from office.

Governor Ademola Adeleke Rejects Osun Tribunal Verdict, Vows To Appeal His Sack

KanyiDaily recalls that Adeleke, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was declared winner of the Osun governorship election held on July 16.

In August 2022, the former Osun governor, Gboyega Oyetola and the All Progressives Congress (APC) petitioned the tribunal to challenge the victory of Adeleke.

Among several issues, Oyetola contended that there was overvoting in 749 polling units across 10 LGAs of the state.

Delivering judgment on Friday, January 27, the tribunal sacked Adeleke as Osun governor and held that the petitioner was able to prove that there was indeed over-voting in some of the polling units.

READ:  2023 Presidency: We Will Continue To Lead Nigeria, No One Can Stop Us - Northern Elders

Justice Tetsea Kume-led panel deducted the over-voting observed from the votes scored by the candidates and declared that Oyetola won the election, having polled 314, 921, while Adeleke’s score came down to 290, 266.

The judge ordered INEC to withdraw the certificate of return issued to Adeleke and issue a fresh one to Oyetola as the duly elected governor of Osun.

Reacting on his Twitter page, Governor Adeleke described the judgement as “a miscarriage of justice”, vowing to challenge the ruling at the Court of Appeal.

He wrote: “I want to use this opportunity to call on our people to remain calm. We will appeal the judgement and we are sure justice will be done.

“Let everyone be reassured that we will do everything possible to retain this widely acclaimed mandate. God bless Osun!”

READ:  Kukah Expresses Disappointment As Judiciary Becomes Entangled In Politics

Governor Ademola Adeleke Rejects Osun Tribunal Verdict, Vows To Appeal His Sack

Meanwhile, a Nigerian academic, Ugo Kelechi has revealed two things he claimed Governor Ademola Adeleke failed to do after he won the Osun governorship election.

READ:  Peter Obi Urges Tinubu to Address Rampant Insecurity in Nigeria