Cable News Network (CNN) has released its findings from an independent investigation carried out on the shooting incident involving the Nigerian Army and peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos State.
KanyiDaily had reported how Nigerian Soldiers opened fire on peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate, killing nine people and injuring so many others on Tuesday night, October 21, 2020.
Contrary to the alternating statements of the Nigerian authorities, an investigation by CNN has proven that more happened on that night than the authorities are willing to take responsibility for.
CNN confirmed from multiple videos with timestamps that the military was present at the toll gate and pieced together a timeline that shows that shooting by the army lasted from 6:43 p.m. until at least 8:24 p.m.
The international news network also spoke to a number of live witnesses as well as family members of victims from that night including a man identified as Elisha Sunday, whose brother, Victor, was killed during the shooting incident.
Although the Nigerian Army continues to deny shooting live rounds at the protest, CNN was able to link live bullet casings found at the scene to the Nigerian army and traced them to purchases made from Serbia.
“CNN has examined bullet casings found at the scene and confirmed with current and former Nigerian military sources that the bullet casings match those used by the army.
“Two ballistics experts have also confirmed with CNN that the shape of the bullet casings indicate they used live rounds, which contradicts the army’s claim they fired blanks.
“And working with the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network, CNN has established that several of the bullets from the Lekki toll gate originated from Serbia. Export documents CNN has seen show that Nigeria purchased weaponry from Serbia almost every year between 2005 and 2016.”
CNN says the Nigerian army and Lagos State Government refused to comment on the Investigations when reached out to, claiming that it would be sub-judicial to do so as the matter is now before a panel of inquiry.
Watch the full report on the investigation from CNN here:
KanyiDaily recalls that following the shooting incident, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu blamed “forces beyond his control” for the attack, while insisting that he had no authority over military engagements.
Initially, the Nigerian Army denied deploying soldiers to the shooting scene at Lekki, adding that videos showing soldiers opening fire on the protesters were untrue as it was photoshopped.
However, the Army Chief, Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai admitted that Nigerian soldiers were deployed to Lekki, noting that the officers were only ensuring compliance with a curfew put in place by Sanwo-Olu, earlier that day during the #EndSARS protest.
During an interview with CNN on Monday, Governor Sanwo-Olu pointed accusing fingers at the Nigerian Army for being responsible for the shooting of protesters at Lekki toll gate.
Reacting in a statement titled “Alleged Massacre of Protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza”, the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army said its troops were deployed to Lekki, but that its operatives never opened fire on the protesters.
The Army Division explained that the intervention of the soldiers was on the request of the Lagos State Government to restor order to the troubled state.