Metro

Police Rescue American Woman Lured To Nigeria By Yahoo Boy And Defrauded In Kwara

Kwara State Police Command has rescued an American woman, Vonapolouis Moss, who was lured to Nigeria by Joshua Awoyele, a 23-year-old suspected Internet fraudster, better known as “yahoo boy”.

Nigerian Man Defrauds American Woman In Kwara Hotel

It was gathered that the American woman was tricked into coming to Nigeria by the suspect who presented himself on TikTok as a US citizen working in the West African country.

While parading the suspect in Ilorin on Friday, the Commissioner of Police, Paul Odama said Awoleye, a Higher National Diploma student of the Kwara State Polytechnic in Ilorin allegedly lured the foreigner and swindled her of the sum of $1000 when she came to Nigeria.

The CP said, “On January 12, 2023, at about 1200 hours, based on actionable intelligence, operatives of the SCID at the Kwara State Police Command arrested one Awoleye Joshua Oluwatofunmi, “male” of Sabo-Oke Road, Ilorin, within the premises of a hotel along Flower Garden Road, Ilorin, in company with one Vonapolouis Moss, an American citizen.

“A preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect, who is an Internet fraudster known as Yahoo Boy, presented himself to the victim on TikTok, a social media platform, as an American by the name of Howard Adams and ripped her off for about 1,000 USD.

READ:  Governor Ishaku’s Aide, Levi Gbashi Killed By Gunmen During Burial In Taraba

“The suspect later took a step further by luring the victim to fly into Nigeria on January 9, 2023, through the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos, after which she flew into Ilorin the next day and was received by the suspect.

“The suspect also deceitfully took an unspecified amount of USD from the victim before she was rescued by police operatives.

“The necessary authorities have been contacted for appropriate action,” he said.

Odama added that the victim had been moved into secure custody by the state police command pending her return trip to the USA.

READ:  Assistant Police Commissioner Bags Life Sentence For Receiving Stolen Vehicle In Ekiti

Speaking in an interview with newsmen, Vonapoloius said that she arrived in the country on Monday night and moved from Lagos to Ilorin on Tuesday morning.

She further added that she met him on TikTok, a social media platform, and he claimed to be an American by the name of Howard Adams currently working in Nigeria.

She said, “We met on social media and he invited me to visit Nigeria but when I came, he took me to the Bureau de Change to change my money to Nigerian currency and he also took me to Shoprite.

“When the money on me finished, he told me to tell my people to send more.”

READ:  Prophet Beaten To Death After He Was Allegedly Caught Eating Bread And Faeces In Ekiti State [Photos]

The foreigner who said that she liked Nigeria, however, said that she would like to return to the US.

“I like Nigeria and I would like to come back but what I want now is to go back to America,” she said.

The Police Commissioner said that although Joshua confessed, he would not be handed to the Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission but would be investigated by the police and charged to court after a thorough investigation of his alleged crime.

The CP said that the command would continue to discharge its duties with a full sense of responsibility, adding that it would be willing at all times to respect the rights of every citizen.

READ:  Atiku Mocks Buhari, "I'm Not A Failed Farmer Who Could Only Boast Of Rearing 150 Cows Every Year"

KanyiDaily recalls an American lady had also revealed that she was scammed by an Yahoo Boy who posed as Nigerian singer, Flavour N’abania.

READ:  Bandits Kill 66 People In Kebbi Villages, Police Still Counting More Dead Bodies

Nicki Minaj Arrested By Police In Amsterdam For "Carrying Drug" [Video]

Nicki Minaj Arrested By Police In Amsterdam For “Carrying Drugs” [Video]

FA Cup Final: Man City 1-2 Man United, Updates, Score, Analysis, Highlights [Video] 3

How My Nude Scene With Eucharia Anunobi Affected My Marriage – Zack Orji [Video]

Harrysong Vows To Expose Evil Deeds Done By His Ex-Wife, KCee, Destiny Etiko And Her Mother

DNA Test Reveals Kayode Olanrewaju Not Father Of His 3 Children With Wife

DNA Test Reveals Kayode Olanrewaju Not Father Of His 3 Children With Wife

TapSwap: How To Make Money Online By Simply Tapping Your Phone Screen
Tech and Gadgets18 hours ago

TapSwap: How To Make Money Online By Simply Tapping Your Phone Screen

Why TapSwap Banned Nigerians | Everything You Need To Know About Make Money With TapSwap
Tech and Gadgets19 hours ago

Why TapSwap Banned Nigerians | Everything You Need To Know About Making Money With TapSwap

“I Apologies If I Disappointed You” - BLord Says As He Announces Plan To Marry Second Wife

“I Apologise If I Disappointed You” – BLord Says As He Announces Plan To Marry Second Wife

Paul Okoye Reportedly Marries Ivy Ifeoma Traditionally Amid Pregnancy Rumours [Video]

Governor Abba Yusuf Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir Of Kano, Aminu Bayero
News22 hours ago

Governor Abba Yusuf Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir Of Kano, Aminu Bayero

NELFund Opens Portal For Students Loan Application - How To Apply
Education2 days ago

NELFund Opens Portal For Students Loan Application – How To Apply

15-Year-Old Italian Teenager, Carlo Acutis Set To Become The First 'Millennial Saint'
World News2 days ago

15-Year-Old Italian Teenager, Carlo Acutis Set To Become The First ‘Millennial Saint’

"My Father Fela Had 27 Wives And Over 100 Girlfriends" – Seun Kuti Reveals [Video]

“My Father Fela Had 27 Wives And Over 100 Girlfriends” – Seun Kuti Reveals [Video]

Zubby Michael Acknowledges That Angela Okorie Is In love With Him

Zubby Michael Acknowledges That Angela Okorie Is In love With Him

Another Woman Accuses Diddy Of Forcing Her To Have Sεx With Kim Porter While He Mαsturbated

Sanusi Lamido Receives Reinstatement Letter, Turbaned As Emir Of Kano [Photos/Video]

Diving into Diverse Crypto Trading Opportunities 4
Business2 days ago

Diving into Diverse Crypto Trading Opportunities

FG Halt Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road Project Realignment After Landmark Beach Demolition

Connecting Continents: Google Introduces Umoja, Africa’s First Direct Fiber Link to Australia 5
Business2 days ago

"Don’t Do Anything To My Baby You Are Carrying” – AY Makun Tells BBNaija’s Alex Amid Pregnancy Claims

“Don’t Do Anything To My Baby You Are Carrying” – AY Makun Tells BBNaija’s Alex Amid Pregnancy Claims