Nigerian Army Launches ‘Operation Crocodile Smile’ Nationwide Amidst #EndSARS Protests

The Nigerian Army is set to commence ‘Operation Crocodile Smile’ nationwide, as protest against the extrajudicial activities of the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) continue across the country.

Nigerian Army Launches 'Operation Crocodile Smile' Nationwide Amidst #EndSARS Protests 3

The Acting Director Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, said the annual exercise which is traditionally conducted in the last quarter of the year, will hold from Tuesday, October 20, 2020, to December 31.

He said this year’s exercise, Crocodile Smile VI, is deliberately intended to be all encompassing to include cyber warfare exercises designed to identify, track and counter negative propaganda in the social media and across the cyberspace.

“The Nigerian Army is set to start its annual Exercise CROCODILE SMILE which is traditionally conducted in the last quarter of the year. This year’s Exercise CROCODILE SMILE VI is scheduled to commence from the 20th of October to the 31st of December 2020.

“The Exercise is deliberately intended to be all-encompassing to include cyber warfare exercises designed to identify, track, and counter negative propaganda in the social media and across the cyberspace. This is the first-ever Cyberwarfare exercise to be conducted in the history of the African Armed Forces.

READ:  Innocent Man Killed By Angry Villagers In Anambra After Being Labelled A Kidnapper [Photos]

“Accordingly, the exercise will also include positive identification component aimed at identifying Boko Haram terrorists fleeing from the North East and other parts of the country as a result of the ongoing operations in the various theatres of operations especially in the Northeast, North Central and North Western parts of Nigeria.

“The Nigerian Army, once again, reassures all well-meaning Nigerians of its commitment to the sustenance of peace and security in Nigeria and urges members of the public for their support and understanding throughout the period of the exercise.”

This year’s nationwide operation is coming at a time Nigerian youths are staging #EndSARS protests around the country against the SARS tactical unit of the Nigerian Police Force over its brutality, illegal arrest, extortion, extra-judicial killings, among others.

READ:  PHEDC Staff Caught On Camera Being Electrocuted To Death In Calabar [Video]

News1 day ago