in

Nigerian Air Force Debunks Claim That Boko Haram Shot Down Missing Fighter Jet

The Nigerian Air Force has said that the missing NAF Alpha Jet aircraft was not shot down by Boko Haram.

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has dismissed a viral report that Boko Haram terrorist group shot down a fighter jet that went missing earlier this week.

Nigerian Air Force Debunks Claim That Boko Haram Shot Down Missing Fighter Jet 1

The Alpha light attack jet was on a mission to support troops fighting Boko Haram militants in Borno State when it lost radar contact on Wednesday evening.

On Thursday, the air force said the jet may have crashed but the cause of the crash was yet to be ascertained. It also disclosed that the whereabouts of the two crew onboard were unknown.

Boko Haram released a video on Friday, showing a militant standing on what the group claims is the wreckage of the jet. It shows the Nigerian flag and number NAF 475 on its fuselage.

“Nigeria air force jet fighter… was sent to Sambisa to fight the Mujahideen,” the militant said.

The terrorist group also showed fighters carrying RPG and artillery equipment, as well as a corpse of the pilot and the aircraft’s debris.

READ ALSO  Nigerians Reacts As Davido Signs May D To His Record Label DMW

However, a statement by the NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, described the video released by the Boko Haram fighters as mere propaganda.

NAF said though the video is still being thoroughly analysed, it is evident that most parts of the video were deliberately doctored to give a false impression that the aircraft was shot down.

The air force further noted that Boko Haram is only seeking to claim credit for what was obviously an air accident that could have been caused by several other reasons.

“The attention of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has been drawn to some videos being circulated on Social Media, as well as media reports drawn therefrom, alleging that the NAF Alpha Jet aircraft, which was reported missing in Borno State on 31 March 2021 after losing radar contact, was shot down by terrorists.

READ ALSO  Woman's Children Turns 'Abnormal' After Eating Their Dead Father’s Head Unknowingly [Video]

“One of such videos, in particular, began with sporadic shooting by several terrorists, including underaged children on motorcycles and vehicles. It later skipped abruptly to a scene depicting an aircraft exploding mid-air, supposedly as a result of enemy action. Another part of the video showed a terrorist, who, while standing by the wreckage, claimed that they had shot down the NAF aircraft.

“Although the video is still being thoroughly analysed, it is evident that most parts of the video were deliberately doctored to give the false impression that the aircraft was shot down. For instance, the video clip failed to show the correlation between the sporadic shooting, which even from casual observation was obviously aimed at ground targets, and the sudden mid-air aircraft explosion.

“In addition, it is almost impossible for an aircraft to have exploded mid-air, in the manner depicted in the video, and still have a good part of its fuselage, including its tail, intact. Indeed, an explosive impact of that nature would have scattered the debris of the aircraft across several miles.

READ ALSO  Prophet Omale Drags FCMB To Court, Demand N5 Billion Over ‘False Report' On Ibrahim Magu

“It is obvious that the Boko Haram Sect, in its characteristic manner of employing false propaganda, is seeking to claim credit for what was obviously an air accident that could have been caused by several other reasons; particularly at a time when the capability of the group to inflict mayhem has been significantly degraded by the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“NAF on this note admonished Nigerians to pay a deaf ear to contents of the viral video until all investigations as to how the aircraft crashed are completed.

“The NAF, on its part, remains resolute and will continue to work assiduously, in synergy with sister Services and other security agencies, to rid the North East of all terrorist elements,” the statement reads.

KanyiDaily recalls that Boko Haram also released new video and photos showing children undergoing religious and combat training in a camp.

READ ALSO  Soludo Says He Will Empower One Million Youths Annually If Elected As Anambra Governor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ayodele Fayose And His Family Seen Publicly Praying At The Beach Against Evil Plans [Video] 27

Ayodele Fayose And His Family Seen Publicly Praying At The Beach Against Evil Plans [Video]

Suspected Fulani Bandits Kill Two Miyetti Allah Leaders In Nasarawa 28

Suspected Fulani Bandits Kill Two Miyetti Allah Leaders In Nasarawa