The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said it froze the bank accounts of 20 #EndSARS campaigners because the funds in their accounts were linked to terrorist activities.

CBN: Central Bank Accuses #EndSARS Campaigners Of Terrorism, Freezes Their Accounts 3

KanyiDaily had reported that the CBN obtained an order from the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to freeze the bank accounts of 20 #EndSARS promoters till January 2021.

The 20 accounts frozen by the CBN are domiciled in Access Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Fidelity Bank, United Bank for Africa and Zenith Bank.

The account were said to have been flagged after they received money with the narration #EndSARS, a nationwide campaign against the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) over its brutality, illegal arrest, extortion, extra-judicial killings, among others.

In the case with suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/1384/2020, filed before Justice A. R. Mohammed, the CBN made no mention of the fact that the 20 accounts were owned by persons involved in the #EndSARS protests, but told the court that the funds might have emanated from terrorist activities.

READ:  Car Snatchers Arrested After Stabbing Uber Driver And Stealing His Car In Lagos [Photos/Video]

“My lord, the nature of the transactions undertaken through the defendants’ accounts are of suspected terrorism financing in contravention of Section 13(1)(a)and(b) of the Terrorism (Prevention)(Amendment) Act, 2013 and Regulation 31(2)(a)and (3)(b) of the Central Bank of Nigeria Anti-Money Laundering/Combating the Financing of Terrorism Regulations, 2013,” the written address partly reads.

In a supporting affidavit deposed to by one Aondowase Jacob on behalf of the CBN, it was stated that the Head of the Economic Intelligence Unit of the Governor’s Department, CBN, Joseph Omayuku, had conducted an investigation on the accounts of the defendants and other individuals and entities held with certain banks in Nigeria.

According to the affidavit, the investigation showed that the owners of the accounts may have been involved in terrorist activities.

“There is a grave allegation that the defendants are involved in suspected terrorism financing via their bank accounts in contravention of the provisions of extant laws and regulations. The aforesaid transactions undertaken by the defendants, using their bank accounts, can cause significant economic and security harm to the public and the Federal Republic of Nigeria if left unchecked.

READ:  PDP's Presidential Candidate Will Likely Fail Because Of The Party's Huge Corruption - Donald Duke

“The applicant (CBN governor) is thus desirous to have the court empower him to direct the freezing of the 20 accounts listed on the annexure to this application and all other bank accounts held by the defendants.

“A freezing order of this honourable court in respect of the defendants’ accounts would also enable the investigation of the activities of the defendants to a logical conclusion with a view to reporting same to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.”

The apex bank said unless the order was granted, it would not be able to ensure that the money remained intact, while investigations were ongoing.

KanyiDaily recalls that one of the #EndSARS promoters, Modupe Odele, also had her passport seized while on her way to the Maldives for her birthday.

READ:  Police Storms Zamfara Shrine, Discovers Cultists’ List Containing Names Of Top Politicians